Unlike laptops, desktop computers generally don’t have a WiFi device. Especially if you buy an assembled computer that inevitably has to look for each component yourself.
So, how to install WiFi on a computer? Is it difficult?
Fortunately, installing WiFi on PC is not difficult.
Because it requires an adapter, of course you have to buy it, aka there is an extra fee. But don’t worry, the price of WiFi adapters on the market ranges from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of rupiah.
Here I briefly describe 2 types of adapters that you can take, namely USB-based and PCI-Express-based.
#1 Use a USB WiFi Adapter
The USB port has now supported a capable speed for internet access. As the name suggests, the USB WiFi Adapter only requires one USB port on the computer as a nest. Its small size also makes this one device easy to move between computers.
- Small size
- Can be removed and moved easily
- Relatively cheaper price
- Signal range is not that far
- Low durability due to direct exposure to the environment
- Sacrificing the USB port, it’s a dilemma for computers that have few USB ports
Price: IDR 50,000 to IDR 150,000
How to install a USB WiFi Adapter
- 1. Connect to the computer’s USB port.
- 2. The driver will automatically be installed, wait for it to finish.
- 3. When finished, click the signal icon on the right side of the Taskbar.
- 4. Select the WiFi network you want to use, then click Connect.
- 5. Fill in the password (if any) and other configurations, the internet is ready to use.
#2 Using Internal WiFi Card
This device is in a computer case. Perched in the PCI-Express slot close to the PCI slot for the graphics card. These WiFi adapters generally have a visible antenna on the back side of the case.
- Located inside, doesn’t sacrifice USB ports and computer aesthetics
- stronger signal, latency low, and large bandwidth
- Not directly exposed to the environment
- Not practical to remove and move
- Relatively higher price than USB WiFi
Price: IDR 80,000 to IDR 240,000
How to install Internal WiFi Card
- 1. Open the computer case, attach the WiFi Card to the PCI-Express slot.
- 2. Connect the antenna through the outer side of the case.
- 3. Turn on the computer, the drivers will usually be installed automatically.
- 4. When finished, click the signal icon on the right side of the Taskbar.
- 5. Select a WiFi network, then click Connect and the internet is ready to use.
#3 Extra: Motherboard with built-in WiFi
Usually found on gaming motherboards. WiFi on this motherboard generally has a higher specification and is suitable for playing online video games.
You only need to plug the antenna cable into the available port, then move the antenna to a position close to the router for a more stable signal.
Price: Above IDR 1,000,000
How to solve the driver is not installed properly?
First, search Device Manager via the Start Menu. Then, open Network Adapter. Right-click on the name of the installed WiFi device, then click Driver updates.
Next select Search automatically for updated driver software and let Windows find the right driver for the WiFi device.
How to solve signal icon on Taskbar not showing?
On the Start Menu, look for Turn system icons on or off. After that, make sure the Network status reads On.
Read more please 5 ways to restore the lost WiFi icon on Windows 10.
Can WiFi be turned off?
You can turn off WiFi by disconnecting the connection to the router or through the icon Network on the Taskbar, then click WiFi to turn it off or on.
You can also keep WiFi active even when not in use. No need to worry about electricity consumption because the WiFi adapter consumes very little energy.
How about yourself, which one do you think is better; USB WiFi Adapter or Internal WiFi Card? Or maybe you have tried the WiFi motherboard?
See also 5+1 tips to maximize WiFi speed at home.